community

Joan

Joan (2010) is a music video that confronts the viewer with the violence trans people face in their daily lives. Featuring portraits of gender queers from around the world, as well as a few famous faces from Canada, the video offers recognition for the difficulty in surviving oppressive conditions. The love song, an anthem against transphobia, reminds […]

Crossing Communities Art Project

From 2007-2011 I facilitated workshops with various communities of marginalized women and youth.  As artist in residence at Crossing Communities Art Project in Winnipeg, I facilitated the production of many individual and group artworks and videos. The projects address the interests and personal narratives of the participants while introducing new skills and concepts of […]

We become our own wolves

We become our own wolves (2007) During the summer of 2007, while on a residency with Modern Fuel Artist Run Centre/ The Artel, I worked on an art project with the women in The Isabel MacNeil House (the only low security federal prison for women in Canada). For three weeks I met with the women three […]

Jugendknast (youth prison Weimar)

While living in Germany I created a series of projects to raise awareness of the human rights violations at Weimar’s youth prison. After completing a poster campaign (in collaboration with Mike Young and committee), animation (in collaboration with Steven Brown) and blog I constructed a “roadside” style memorial on the prison fence, with flowers, […]

Ring the Bells

Collaboration with Sam Jones (N. Ireland) The project ‘ring the bells that still can ring’ is situated in Worpswede in the North of Germany.  We were invited as part of an international project to commemorate the death of the painter Paula Moderson Becker. The organization of this event reflected a self-invested interest in the cultural […]

Kampf der Alten

Working with a youth theatre group in Weimar, our collective (Zoe Kreye, Steven Brown, Mark Hansen and myself) set out to create a collaborative performance project with elderly people at the local retirement home for actors. The intergenerational project used installation, acting and music to tell the two life stories of the elder men. This […]

Weimar West youth animation workshops

In 2007, various artistic workshops were offered to the youth of Weimar West. Sound artist Alexandre  Decoupigny mixed songs with the youth for their videos. I was interested in working with local youth as part of my larger project on the inhuman treatment of youth at  the local youth prison: Jugendnast Reform.               […]

YouTube 2006

In this project I construct a series of internet personas on YouTube. Within the frame of current global internet communities, I aimed to highlight how identity formation, representation and the media on the internet relates to surveillance. These constructed personas interacted with each other and the YouTube community to problematize concepts of visibility/representation as legitimacy […]